Saturday, April 28, 2007

Saying "I dont know" helps

My vivas got over today, it was the last viva of my engineering career. Man, what a joke it is. Its the same thing every year. The college gets over a few days before the vivas. Students buy books, get mass-xeroxs on the last day of college and start studying one day before the viva. They flood the corridor outisde the viva lab and wait for the first batch of students to come out after their viva and ask for reviews. The reviews range from "Arey external sahi cool banda hai" to "Abbe sala kholke maar raha hai".

Over the past four years Ive learnt that there are three kinds of people. Firstly there are people who are god-sent techies, true engineers. Second come those who are not techies but somehow manage to read 5 reference books inside out and say things like "Arey that answer is in the 3rd para of page 384 of that ref book". Thirdly we have people who dont study a thing and dont give a damn too. The external can also be of two types: one who asks direct questions from the book and second who asks random "general" questions which you will never find in the books you read. These 5 types of students and profs can make some interesting combinations. If the prof is asking direct questions, the first and the second kinds get away while the third gets screwed. If the prof asks "general questions" only the first kind (sometimes even the third) survives.

I certainly dont come under the first category. I am partly second(say 40%) partly third(60%). If the prof asks very direct basic questions i am saved but if high funda techinal ones are asked I am screwed. One bad thing about me, I never say "I dont know". Ill put in my maximum creativity and come up with my own invented answer. This can be good or bad depending on the prof. Some profs appreciate your creativity but some "jealous ones" dont.

Recently I tried creating my own solution for a link breakage problem in a ring topology network in an IEEE 802.5 LAN and the external says with a smirk on her face "you are just throwing things, its a technical subject, dont guess". I felt like throwing things at her..literally. Why dont they encourage creativity? So what if the answer is absurd. Every scientist's first try was absurd. This way I end up getting less than my partner who never opens his mouth. I guess someone has truly said: "Silence is foolish if we are wise, but wise if we are foolish". From now on ill try my best to say "I dont know" rather than babbling some stuff and save my creativity for other things like painting or this blog. Now I ask myself the question "Will I stop babbling crap?" I would say "I dont know":) (I do learn but dont change so easily)

P.S
May 17th, 1310 hours;

I just finished studying that chapter of LANs from two different reference books and I found out that my "creative" answer to that linkage problem is very much possible (acc to the book Leon Garcia). And all I get for this creativity is some stupid criticism.. #$%£$*

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha...
To create a creative answer, the topic from which the question was fielded should be complex. Only then, can we explore any avenue for a fake but confusing answer to exercise the idea of confusing them if they cant be beaten.

Linkage problem in a ring topology n/w is too lame a topic and the answer is, too.

So in a viva it's always nice to test the waters. At that point the ext will issue a warning, might be verbal or non-verbal(like a wicked smile or something) & then course correction should be applied by saying the magic words "i dont know"...to save one's ass.

Savita said...

@anonymous
the level of complexity is different for diff people. Judging by your comment I can say that you come under the 1st category.
I did mention that I come 60% under the 3rd category. I completely left that topic of LANs. The answer to the Linkage problem is indeed very simple. but its not wrong coming up with new ones. The linkage problem was more of a logical question than a technical one. The most simplest ones are the most logical ones.

I mean if a question like "How is Phase margin and gain margin in a satellite taken care of?"(asked in another viva) is asked theres no point putting in your creativity without knowing what phase and gain margins are.

Anonymous said...

I belong 50% to the 1st category and 50% to the 3rd. Agreed the simplest ones are the most logical ones. But logic has to be successfully implemented by the technology, which is not possible entirely. You tend to get problems with simple logic that warrants the use of a more complex logic.
And we all know, most of the externals have a disparaging sense of ego in them. That's the bane of MU and everyone associated with it.

Savita said...

Whatever you say Mr. Anonymous. You seem to be more experienced than I am... you know it better :)

humbl devil said...

lol...
so you had a hard time during the vivas...
but dont worry, the college should take care of your scores...

B said...

:)) "so wot if the answer is crap... encourage creativity"

I would be the mix of 2nd and 3rd type. Though its very hard for me to be "creative" 3rd type of a student... thats why I have to concentrate on being a 2nd type :P

Ali S. said...

Nice article savita
i myself have experienced the same situation many times

btw
same pinch me too in the same category :)

Aditi said...

lol
win heart and let everything rest...:)

Anonymous said...

@anonymous...
I found this quote on the net...

" Technical Skill is the mastery of complexity, while Creativity is the
master of simplicity..."

I guess this answers all your questions..

Anonymous said...

uh-oh!!!

Ash said...

i find vivas boring yaar....i'm sota like u....but really i also got some critisizes...what to say....i'm always the first person....so everyone in a mood to complicate experiment on me!!!...thank god till now i managed some what...what happens next????

hai...just peeped by to look....we sorta have same views!!!i think...

bye & take care

DreAmgiRL said...

hey, wow cool template (or is it original coding ?) and even cooler posts.. liked this viva one.. i too am in final yr engg and just loved the way u've written about it..i fall mostly in da third category (just serious bluffing, u know) :P

humbl devil said...

you have been tagged lady!!!