Thursday, March 16, 2006

In search of a perfect gift

"What shall I give him?" I ponder
To make his natal day unforgettable
To see those stars dance in his eyes
"What exactly is a gift?" I now wonder

Its certainly not just sauntering into a gift shop
And walking out with a wraped parcel
Nor is it just watching them say thank you
And give a plastic smile which will ultimately stop

"What is it then?"Is it something that can make you adrift
just by hearing those thousand thank-yous
expressed by his eyes? Yes it is, it indeed is
I then start my venture, In search of a perfect gift

I try to speculate a list of those things he adores
Those he is obsessed with, those he craves for
Books, Planes, Tom clancy, Horoscopes, Souvenirs
With the list in my mind, I inspect all the nearby stores

"No not this, Please look for that particular one"
I beg the shopkeeper, forcing him to hunt all corners
He gives a disapproving nod uncooperatively
Not giving up, I move on to the next store alone

"Yep, Thats the one" My face lightens up
As my search finally comes to an end
"Gift wrap it" I say with a sense of accomplishment
I wait for the D-day as I fall onto my bed with a belly-flop

"Happy Birthday" I say as I hand him the shiny present
I see him hide his impatience and unwrap it neatly
I stand there doubting whether he will cherish my paltry parcel
Infront of his sis's four-figure gift that looked ornately brilliant

The doubt vanishes the moment he looks into my eyes
Its true, His eyes did say a thousand Thank-yous
With a rapturous smile he embraces me warmly
I pray God, not to snatch from me this moment of pure bliss

5 comments:

Unknown said...

full version of this comment has been sent to your email...

Unknown said...

and u say this was "an attempt at senti"?? wow...if ure attempts are so good....then...

Unknown said...

Wow. Just wow. And my eyes are sayin 10^8 wrds rite now...

Unknown said...

But u know what? a gift doesnt have to be such a hard searched-for thing (not to damp your efforts LOL)...some gifts are there, which we KNOW we have to give him/her...And it doesnt matter how costly or rare or irritating it may be...
BTW such a gift was my gift. . .
thank you..thank you..

Anonymous said...

Though didnt get ne gift or me least involved in poem...I want to poke my nose and comment in here....
Completely agree wid Vishy's last comment!!
"some gifts are there, which we KNOW we have to give him/her...And it doesnt matter how costly or rare or irritating it may be...
BTW such a gift was my gift. . ."
Da search u carried out 4 da gift was a rare gft in itself.... nad most ppl miss out in ther!!