Monday, June 14, 2010

My life so far (An autobiography poem)

In the international year of peace, 1986
along the Coromandel Coast in the tropics
in a small town with nuclear power plants
when the morning was way beyond dawn
as dark as the dusk, I was born

I grew up a shy kid, always alone
and lazy, but very active in my fantasy zone
sticking only to my imaginary friends
My parents tried hard to change me, only vainly
when I cried my way out of Lower KG

My giving up the next year made my parents glad
and I realized that real friends werent all that bad
The school let me directly go for Upper KG
even though I was as dumb as a donkey
never could I figure out why 4 25 paise coins made 1 rupee

I changed from a donkey to well.. not a donkey
As my grades started improving slowly
My parents then thought me fit for other parts
put me in dancing and music for the starts
even then my heart went out only for arts

After continuously dreaming of becoming a doctor
I went for Comps after the biology terms made me shudder
C++ and VB were something I adored
My love for coding was why my marks soared
and made me the college topper in HSC board

Why I took telecomm later, still escapes me
While designing filters, I could feel myself choking
The microelectronics diode would get me gasping
With the equations of EM wave from an optical fiber
I could feel my brain cells committing suicide

The superhero IT came to my rescue as well
Taught me Cobol, Db2, Cics, Vsam and Jcl
In the beginning coding for a bank did seem cool
but something felt amiss which I had to retool
I knew the only place where I could do that was a B-School

From not knowing how 4 25 paise coins made 1 rupee
to wanting to take decisions affecting the economy
only the next few years can tell,
If I can make this world a better place to live in
For both you and me

I guess you can clearly see my desperate attempts to make the lines rhyme and also that I had given up in the last stanza. ;). Making the lines rhyme in a poem is just not my thing.

No comments: