Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A Vacation I missed

Couldnt resist writing this after reading four enormous blogs written by a friend of mine about his trip to a small placid place called Kihim. (Wonderful article perfectly written with hell lotta pics and GRE words in it...:-) ) For him the vacation trip was a 'home away from home' but for me it was a 'home still in my home'.... if you didnt get any of these you need to know my story..

Its a tradition in our college to go for an industrial visit after the 5th semester exams. Not any ordinary IV but a trip which ranges from 2 days to 7 days...(mind you...its just called Industrial visit for namesake..actually its anything but an Industrial visit...)

My class started deciding for the IV ever since the beginning of that sem. We had a poll on which place to go for the IV... 95% voted for GOA.. (Goa???..Industrial visit??? Industries in Goa??? huh!!!!! ..If beaches and bars were considered as industries..Then Goa could be an ideal choice for the IV..)..The other 5% voted for places like Kerala, Bangalore and Hyderabad. But obvious GOA was made final...

Having never gone for such a trip with my friends before..I desperately wanted to go.. Getting permission from my parents was not a problem at all... Naveen took responsibility and arranged the whole trip for us.. On the last day of the sem he came to all of us individually and asked whether we were coming for the trip... I waited for my chance to say 'Yes'... but before I could do that Mehul came and told me that no one from their group (yes...we have groups in our class) would be going because they (lets name them the 'first benchers') thought they cant have fun with the p-k group (A group which stays away from our group both physically and socially) as it would be better if we plan our own trip and not go to goa with them.... I stood there speechless not knowing what to do.. I thought for a minute and actually felt that mehul was right.. I never liked that p-k group too... but wait a second... my other friends (lets name them the 'last benchers') are going too.. so what do I do???

Not knowing whether to say yes or no.. I asked Vishy.. He couldnt come up with a possible solution... I gave another thought about it and decided to say 'No'...( A decision which I still regret).. The 'last benchers' came to know about that and few of them took the pain to call me up and tried to force me to change my decision.... I didnt want them know that I wasnt coming because I would be going to some other place with the 'first benchers'..That would be pure treachery... So I lied.. I told them that I had to go to my native place with my parents ( this wasnt a complete lie..though...I indeed had such plans.. but that was way after the trip...they never coincided).. They stopped pestering me after that...

The exams started and I buried myself into big engineering books...Even after all that tension I couldnt help dreaming about the trip I would be going after the exams... ( We will do this ...We will do that...) I inserted conversations about the trip when I called up my friends on the pretext of asking doubts.. I tried giving ideas of places where we could go... This showed how excited I was... I couldnt wait for my exams to get over... Nothing could go wrong... NOTHING..

Days flew by..(not so easily though) and the last exam came... Got screwed up big time.. I made myself calm down after knowing that everyone else screwed up too... and then as usual after the last exam we went to a restaurant to eat something... The 'last benchers' went to a place called ghatkopar and the 'first benchers' went to chembur.. I decided to go with the first benchers.. On the way I got a call from Kinnar asking me to come to ghatkopar.. As usual I made up something and didnt go.. (Lying became an integral part of my life)..In the restaurant, after everyone was done with the imprecating of paper setter..we started the topic of our trip...

Aditya suddenly turned his head..looked at me and said "Hey..you cant come....Its an 'All Boys Trip'" Those three words made my heart sink...(What do you mean 'All Boys Trip'???? I didnt give up the Goa trip for nothing!!) I sat there speechless, not out of happiness but out of confusion... I didnt know what to say..I could have started an affray..an irrefragable argument... but I didnt..There was no point... Good bye..beaches..Good bye.. beach resort.. Good bye..Wine (Yes..I was planning to taste wine)...and Good bye..Vacation...

Even after that I didnt give up...(May be it was only Adi's crazy idea...may be others didnt feel the way Adi did)..I waited for someone to call me up and ask me to come to the trip with them... I ended up just waiting... and sitting at home watching everyone else go on trip to scintillating places.. And to make things worse..Kuresh and Kinnar who went to Goa kept messaging me about the marvelous time they were having there and Vishy who went to Kihim called me up one day even before I woke up and started telling me what terrific time they had the day before on the beach... I could do nothing but sit on my bed incapacitated, listening to them having the time of their life..... There was nothing I could do...NOTHING

This was indeed a vacation I missed or should I say 'messed'..
Moral of the story:- ........ (Is there one???)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

some part of me still feels guilty...

Unknown said...

but i guess "chill out" is what u want me to do, so...

Unknown said...

Adi was joking, as he later told me...seems he has had this experience all his life...that is, there have been lottsa occasions when he meant something as a joke.

he sounded quite sad, actually...i thot he would cry or something...

Unknown said...

****correction to last comment****
there have been lottsa occasions when he meant something as a joke but ended up offending some1....

Unknown said...

And what u say, about us not able to enjoy when u are there with us...crap.

we like rougher modes of timepass too, but cmon! not 24/7. and its not that we ll enjoy less when we re with u...both are different, and ENJOYABLE types of enjoyment...(whatever that meant.)